Friday 17 August 2018

DJ Grizz- The Detroit Spinners

Today’s artist mix is a Motor City vocal group par excellance The Detroit Spinners. Formed in the 50’s the group, in various forms, had hits in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s on firstly Motown then Atlantic (having been championed by label mate Aretha Franklin). They still gig to this day - heres a seclection of my favorites.
We kick off with a song also made by Elton John who’s Philly inspired version The Spinners provided backing vocals on, there’s their collaboration with Dionne Warwick next, a big 70’s hit in Its a Shame, we’ve the 1975 RnB No.1 in Games People Play and end on a great ballad in How Could I Let You Get Away (a double A-side with I’ll Be Around) plus more Detroit goodies!
Sad news this week about the passing of Aretha, my tribute to the great lady can be found from last year if you scroll down my list of mixes!
Keep the Soul flag flying Mixtapers!
Grizz- The Soul Mixtape Blog

Are you ready for love
Them came you ft Dionne warwick
The rubberband man
Its a shame
Toni my love
Games people play
I’ll be around
Aint no price on happiness
How could i let you get away

No comments: