Wednesday 25 May 2016

DJ Ridym - Lovers Rock Volume 1



Strolling down memory lane with some cool lovers rock for our listeners this week. Kicking off with a Freddie McGregor classic courtesy of Norman Connors "you are my starship" and then signing off the mix with some sublime vocals from the queen of lovers rock herself - Janet Kay.

During the 70's and 80's lovers rock had taken hold of the UK blues party scene with artists such as Jean Adebambo, Ruddy Thomas, Carol Thompson and Trevor Walters to name a few. Lovers Rock had firmly made its mark and would often be played by popular sound systems of the time. Caron Wheeler of Soul II Soul fame started out as part of popular lover rock trio - Brown Sugar which gave us such favorites as "I'm in love with a dreadlocks" and "Hello Stranger"

More to come from me next week but until then look out for Grizz and SoulNRnB mixes heading your way!

Freddie Mcgregor - Natural Collie
Heptics - Mind Blowing Decissions
One Blood - Be Thankful for what you got
Investigators - Woman I need your loving
Jean Adebambo - Reaching for a goal
Peter Hunnigale - Won't you be my lady
Ruddy Thomas - When I think of you
Motion - No man is an island
Sugar Minott - Tears you cry
Janet Kay - I do love you

No comments: