Tuesday 15 June 2010

DJ Grizz- Blue Eyed Soul Mix

Now this blog is all about championing soulful black music from the last 40+ years and this mix does just that albiet from a slightly different angle. This mix features the white guys and girls from the 70's and 80's who borrowed the soul for a while and then gave it back in the same good shape they got given it. We're not talking bout the imitators or wannabes here, these are are the guys who 'got it' and could belt it out with the best of 'em!

Mix includes, amongst others, Boz Scaggs, Tower of Power and the Average White Band (of course!).
SoulNRnB up next, see you guys next week!
Grizz
Tracklist in comments!

5 comments:

Grizz said...

John Valenti- Why don’t we fall in love
The Soul Survivors- City of brotherly love
Jess Roden- I’m on your side
Rene Guyer- It only happens when I look at you live
Ned Doheny- Whatcha gonna do for me
Tower of Power- Can’t you see
Boz Scaggs - What can I say
Toto- Georgy Porgy
Average White Band- Queen of my soul
Bobby Caldwell - Down for the third time

Sugar Tee said...

I was pleasantly surprised with this mix. Was not sure what to expect but it's all good

When it comes to music I have lived a very sheltered life. I have heard some of the tracks and some of the artist's but I would never have put two and two together.

Ps I love the the Soul Survivours.

e-keane said...

Well I never new the Soul Survivors were anything other than bruthas! And to think I used City of Brotherly Love as my theme tune when I broadcast on "community" radio back in the day...aah that bisto moment of sweet memories.
Some great tracks here, gentlemen and I'm particularly pleased to get the Soul Survivors track, as my copy was on dodgy bootleg vinyl which is now somewhere in the junkyard that is our attic (Steptoe & Son would be proud of it)
Thanks for all your hard work.

Respect,

Eugene

e-keane said...

PS,

What would Walt Disney make of Snow White? She can come & darn my socks anytime!

Grizz said...

Thanks Sugar T, we love to educate on this blog- so much good stuff buried out there!!!

Cheers Eugene, The soul survivors were on the old TSOP label so if Gamble and Huff rated em they musta been good.
PS I promised the kids a trip to euro disney next year, will be keeping me eye out 4 Snow White now!